Who can be a guide?
Guides are university students who deliver tours of Parliament to visitors, parliamentarians and dignitaries from around the world.
The Parliamentary Guide Program is currently hiring for Summer 2023. Apply no later than January 15, 2023 11:59 PM Eastern. Applications must include the following documents (PDF format only):
- Confirmation that you are a university student (proof of registration, proof of payment, or proof of status)
- Your curriculum vitae (resumé) and a one-page cover letter
- Contact information for two references
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply:
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Studying at a Canadian university on a full-time basis. Students in college or CEGEP who hold a university degree are also eligible.
- Bilingual in English and French. Parliamentary Guides provide tours in Canada’s two official languages, so applicants must be able to speak both fluently.
Candidates are assessed and selected for interviews according to the following criteria:
- Relevant experience (interpretation and guiding, customer service, public speaking, etc.);
- Range of experience (employment, volunteer and/or extracurricular experience in client services, interpersonal skills, teamwork, etc.);
- Strong communication skills.
Exam and Interview criteria
Candidates are assessed according to the following criteria during the exam and interview:
- Superior oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Professionalism and judgement;
- Creativity, adaptability, confidence, and a capacity to engage;
- Initiative, focus, and teamwork;
- Ability to speak clearly, coherently, and accurately, and to convey and understand a message easily in their second language;
- Knowledge of the Canadian legislative process and the history of Parliament.
Applications for the Summer 2023 Program are open until January 15, 2023. Apply no later than January 15, 2023 11:59 PM Eastern. If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com.