Position: Refugee 613 Communications Specialist (Remote)
Term: November 2021 to February 2022 (16 weeks, Part Time, 17 hours/week)
Reports to: Communications Specialist, Refugee 613
Are you between 15 and 30 years of age with experience producing outstanding content for social media? Are you passionate about using your graphic design skills to make a difference for immigrants in Ottawa? Refugee 613 needs you this summer!
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613
Refugee 613 is a communications organization created by a network of service providers, refugee sponsors and community volunteers. We provide our partners and the public with information, connection and inspiration to improve the welcome and integration of refugees. As part of our commitment to actively work to dismantle systemic racism, we strive to ensure equity and inclusion are embedded in our internal practices and services. Our small, energetic and diverse team highly values life experience, curiosity and creativity. We work hard, laugh a lot and care deeply about what we do.
The Communications Specialist position is funded by the federal Canada Summer Jobs program, to provide employment experience to youth under the age of 30 in support of Refugee 613’s communications activities, particularly social media and content design and production. The goal of all duties is to help ensure Ottawa residents stay informed about refugee resettlement, integration and welcome in the context of COVID-19, regardless of immigration status or language barriers. This is the last of four CSJ positions Refugee 613 is offering this year.
· Support the execution of Refugee 613’s communications activities
· Write and design content, including infographics, newsletters, and fact sheets, for social media and digital distribution, to inform community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public
· Support content production and posting calendar for social media and other channels
· Administrative tasks as required, including some meeting coordination and bookkeeping
· Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
· Age between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
· Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Note: Unfortunately, international students are not eligible for this opportunity).
· Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
· Studies or advanced training in communications, graphic design, journalism, public relations program or related fields
· Demonstrated graphic design skills
· Ability to write clear, engaging communications with excellent grammar and style
· Highly motivated, creative and organized
· Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
· Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English required; proficiency in French and/or another language considered an asset
· Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
· Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
· Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
· Proficiency with Canva, Adobe Suite (particularly Photoshop and Indesign), Youtube Studio, Facebook/Instagram Creator Studio, as well as the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Application Deadline: October 20th until 5:00 PM.
Application Process: Please send the following documents to Chandan Rathaur, Human Resources Administrator.
· A cover letter, with the following file name: NAME_CommsSpec_CoverLetter
· A resume with the following file name: NAME_ CommsSpec_Resume
· ONE sample of your graphic design work. It can be a social media post, an infographic, a poster, etc. Cover letter: Please include in your application a cover letter summarizing in less than 250 words how you meet the Qualifications, listed above. Do not just list your work history in your cover letter. Please show us your ability to write clear, concise and engaging content!
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you for your interest in joining OCISO. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those selected for further consideration.
Reference ID: R613- CS
Contract length: 4 months
Part-time hours: 17 per week
Application deadline: 2021-10-20
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $14.25 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Interested? Apply through Indeed Here: