Hiring Social Justice Organizers!– Ottawa & Gatineau ACORN
Full Time Job Description:
- Building/expanding neighbourhood groups by being directly in the communities we’re organizing
- Work with existing ACORN members and cultivating new leaders to expand both our neighbourhood and municipal campaigns.
- Work with our Head Organizer on a day to day basis to learn the basics of ACORN’s organizing methods and techniques.
- 42.5 hours per week - working in afternoons and evenings between 12-9pm
- Fundraising and asking for money is a fundamental part of an organizer’s job. We are structured like a union: ACORN members pay membership dues. While this is not the entire job, it’s fundamental that organizers sign up members and can ask for dues and donations.
- Willing and able to travel to training, and staff meetings (some outside of Canada). Usually 3 times a year. **COVID has drastically changed our travel***
- Dealing with multiple tasks in the same day - flexibility and resilience are keys to success.
- Representing the organization in the neighbourhoods, as well as with our leadership at external meetings or events (allies or targets).
Part Time Job Description:
- Building our base of individual donors by spreading the word on our campaigns and asking supporters to contribute financially. Donations from community allies help support our membership's goals and keep us independent and sustainable
- Canvassing in low income neighbourhoods on pressing issues happening in the neighbourhood/city, gathering petition signatures, asking supporters to call their local representatives and engaging new members
- Phone banking our existing members when there are large citywide events, townhalls and rallies
What is ACORN?
ACORN Canada, the nationwide community union of low-to-moderate income people, is expanding our organizing in Ottawa & Gatineau and is hiring full time and part time organizers.
ACORN organizers build power for working class people!
They do direct outreach, listen to community residents’ concerns, and connect what they want to see changed to effective mass-based action. Organizing protests, developing campaigns, coordinating communications and research, and most important building powerful local groups all across the National Capital Region!
ACORN is a multi-issue, mass based union of low-to-moderate income people. ACORN’s purpose is to give low-to-moderate income people the power needed to have their voices effectively heard at the highest levels in the country. ACORN is able to be both a local-based union winning local campaigns, as well as a large-scale organization combining forces to fight national corporations and governments that are at the root of most of our problems.
We are a tenants’ union. We are a disability action union. We are a worker’s union. We are a consumer's union. We are whatever our members are. Our members pay dues so that the organization can be sustainable and not dependent on outside funding from government and corporations. Each dues member has a vote, and only members speak for the organization. Our members get elected to our board of directors and set our policy and help determine the tactics.
Qualifications and Skills
- No paid experience required; professional organizer training provided
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Bilingual in English/French is not required but considered an asset.
- Be self driven and the ability to work both independently but also follow direction.
- Ability to listen in order to identify issues that are affecting our people.
- Base compensation for full time organizers is $34,764.67 annually + transportation allowance (approx $50 per mo) + phone allowance ($20 per mo)
- Health benefits, five paid sick days, and RRSP retirement program included after 6 months.
Part-time hours: 15-42.5 per week
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract, Permanent
Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Commuter benefits
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
All field work is socially distanced and masked. We require all of our organizers to be fully vaccinated or to have a plan to be fully vaccinated.
Interested? Apply through Indeed Here: