Youth Social Justice Advocate
We will be holding an INFO SESSION for these positions on Feb 9th at 5pm. Register to join through eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/social-justice-info-night-in-ottawa-on-tickets-264825449047
Organization: Parkdale Food Centre
Location: 30 Rosemount Street #2 Ottawa. Combination of in-person and remote work
Hours/Duration: 140 hours over 14 weeks
Schedule: Wednesday Meetings 5pm to 8pm + 3 hours at home work (increased hours during March break)
Start Date: Monday February 14th to May 23
Rate of Pay: $15/hr
Application Deadline: February 7th
Passionate about social justice and building awareness about issues facing youth in your community?
Interested in working with a local charity in advocating for youth interests to achieve broader social impact?
The Social Justice advocate will be responsible for working in a group alongside other youth advocates who are passionate about raising awareness, taking action, and working towards creating equitable communities in Canada. The team will be led and supported by PFC staff and a Youth Coordinator in facilitating a project that does the above work. It will be up to the team to decide how the project will take shape and will require creativity, initiative and good communication.
- Attending weekly group meetings to learn about, discuss and share knowledge on social justice issues affecting youth in ottawa
- Develop and plan a project that either raises awareness, builds networks, or challenges an issue facing youth in ottawa
- Work independently and as a team to fulfill project tasks
- Develop Social media and communications content to share our work
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of or interest in learning about social justice issues in our community
- Understanding of presentation tools such as Google slides and Canva
- Video editing skills an asset
- Ability to engage and activate peers in thoughtful discussion
- Knowledge of/interest in social media sites such as Instagram, TikTok, Facebook
- Youth age 15 to 18 (Please see Youth Services Bureau for eligibility criteria)
- Availability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to work efficiently unsupervised
- Access to a computer and a stable internet connection as some of this work will be remote. Please indicate if you need support with this.
- Self-motivated, responsible
Reports to: Thirteen Team lead Meagan and Youth Coordinator Hana
To apply: Send resume or express interest to Meagan by sending an email to email@example.com
Register for the Info Session on eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.
Attend the February 9th Info Night (ONLINE LINK) click to join the meeting. A link will also be sent to you through your eventbrite registration