At Parkdale Food Centre and Thirteen A Social Enterprise, we use food as a tool to share culture, build community and learn from each other. one of our youth team was inspired by a recipe similar to this one by a French chef who also used food to share his culture. we have adapted it added a spicy thirteen spin. Hope you enjoy!
150g of fresh peas
cloves of garlic
⅛ tsp Black paper
2 Bay Leaves
1 cup Tomato sauce
2 cups of water
- Cut the cubed beef in 2
- Chop the onions, carrot and slice the peas.
- Heat olive oil on a heavy pot on medium heat.
- Dice the garlic
- Put the beef on the pan once the oil is heated, fry it for about 4 minutes until the beef is brown and crispy.
- Take the beef out of the pan and with the same oil add the onion, carrots, peas and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes. Also, add pili pili/berbere and Xawaash.
- Add black pepper and bay leaves
- Add tomato sauce and water. Cook for about 15 minutes until the tomato sauce and water is well mixed and it not too thick or watery. Add some more water if needed.
- Serve with baguette