Stir Fry with thirteen berbere twist!!
Simple chicken fried veggie with berbere twist this recipe is a healthy meal to prepare, simple to make and full of flavours! If you are looking for healthy and tasty dinner ideas, this recipe is the one. ENJOY!!
2 lbs chicken drumsticks/ thighs or 1.25 lbs boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 lbs firm stir fry vegetables, chopped (fresh or bag of frozen stir-fry veggies)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce or Tamari
1 cup cold water
2-3 tsp thirteen berbere (add a bit more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 tbsp rice or white vinegar
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 green onion sprigs, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional )
1 tbsp Avocado oil, for frying
2 tsp Salt
- Cut the vegetables. “Stir fry” means to cook small pieces of food quickly on high heat and stirring constantly. So make sure vegetables are prepped before you light the stove.
- Preheat wok on medium heat and add a bit of oil. To cook bone-in chicken: Add chicken and 2 tbsp of water to a wok, sprinkle with a bit of salt, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. To cook boneless chicken breasts or thighs: Cook uncovered for 7-10 minutes, stirring a few times.
- While chicken is cooking, in a medium bowl whisk together water, soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Remove chicken on a plate and return wok to high meat. Add a bit of oil, garlic, ginger and onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vegetables and and thirteen spice cook for another 3 minutes.
- Whisk sauce well (cornstarch settles fast at the bottom) and add to the wok. Stir chicken stir fry gently and let sauce come to a boil, then cook for a few minutes until it thickened. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Serve hot over quinoa, brown rice, brown rice vermicelli or whole wheat spaghetti.
I like the price, look and taste of bone in chicken. You can use boneless. Just keep in mind you will need less of it and it cooks much faster.
Best veggies to stir fry: bell peppers, zucchini, snow (snap) peas, carrots, onions, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus