This vegetarian-friendly Black Bean burger is much healthier than a traditional hamburger (especially one you might get at a restaurant). Black bean burgers are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals but are MUCH lower in fat and cholesterol than a traditional ground beef burger. Try out this tasty recipe using our Berbere Ethiopian spice mix by Mange A Trois on Instagram. Check out their Instagram @mangeatrois for more delightful recipes!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 can of black bean (19 oz)
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1/2 cup of onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup pf fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp. of Berbere spice blend
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a can opener, open your can of beans. Pour the beans into a colander and rinse with water. Shake off as much excess liquid as possible (you can also lightly pat them with a dry towel).
2. Pour the beans on to a lined baking sheet and place it in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. While the beans are in the oven, take a medium-sized frying pan and place it on medium-high heat on the stove. Add the butter, onions, mushrooms and garlic into the pan and let them cook down. Once they are cooked down, take the pan off the heat and pour the contents into a large bowl.
4. Once the beans are cooked, remove them from the oven and pour them into the bowl with the other veggies. With a potato masher, mash all the ingredients together. Then add the Berbere spice along with the cilantro and mix thoroughly together. Then add the egg followed by the bread crumbs, mix thoroughly.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. On a lined baking sheet, form the mixture into 4 patties and place on the sheet. Put in the oven for 7-10 mins per side.
6. Once the patties are cooked, remove from the oven and build your burger to your liking.
7. The burger in the image has homemade onion rings, tomato, spinach and arugula dressed in lemon juice, salt and pepper and tzatziki. Enjoy!