Bolani is an Afghan famous food. Almost all Afghans love this food!
This is my mom and I's favorite dish! This famous Afghan dish is very tasty. My mom taught me how to make this recipe. Since I learnt how to prepare this food, i wanted to remake the recipe and add thirteen's Pili pili spice. I make bolani once a week, and my family fell in love with my secret ingredient. Pili Pili spice has a bold flavor which made the bolani taste better. We enjoy eating this food every time, especially after I add pili pili spice.
Recipe by Sahar
- Pili pili spices
- Salt to taste
- 1 Leek onion, finely chopped
- 2 Chili pepper (optional)
- 1/2 Chili pepper powder
- 1 tbs Pili pili spice
- 6 tbs oil for frying (1 tbs for each baloni)
Dough (make 6 bolani)
- 3 cups flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup or more water
Whisk the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil together in a large bowl. Set the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil aside for brushing on the bolani later.
Use a fork or your fingers to mix in ¾ cup of water. Begin to knead the dough, adding additional water a splash at a time as needed, until it comes together. If your dough becomes sticky, add a dusting of flour. Continue kneading for about 8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft.
Cover with a lightly dampened towel, and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
Cut the leek onion in very small pieces and add salt 1 teaspoon salt, ½ spoon chili pepper powder, 2 chilies and 1 tablespoons pili pili spices. Mix them Rest for 15 minutes.
Form the Bolani:
1. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.
2. Be sure to roll your dough into balls, as round as you can get them.
3. Get your rolling pin and roll out the ball of dough making them about 8 inches wide. Don't roll the dough too thin as it won't hold the filling. And don't roll too thick as it will be thick and chewy.
4. Once the dough is flat, portion of filling on the top half of the circle, leaving a half inch border around the edges.
5. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges with your finger tips to seal. Make sure to remove any excess air inside the pocket and seal.
Fried the bolani
Heat a heavy griddle/pan over medium heat. I love using my cast iron pan for frying the Bolani.
Add about a 1 tbsp of oil on the griddle and spread it around. Place the shaped flatbread and cook on both sides until golden brown. Add more oil if needed.
Place the cooked Bolani between the kitchen towel to keep them warm.
Repeat with the rest of the dough and serve warm.
It depends on how much you make.
- 2 Garlic gloves
- 1 cup Coriander
- 1-2 Chile pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup Water
Add all the ingredients into the blender and blend them until it’s smooth.
Timing of cooking
Prep time 1.5 hour
Cook time for one bolani: 5 minutes
Tools and equipment:
cast iron pan
Serve bolani with yogurt or green chatni (green sauce)