This is one of my favourite Ethiopian dishes, it is called Deka Sego, ground beef stew. I grew up eating this primarily for dinner but sometimes lunch as well. This Ethiopian sauce is taking pasta sauce to a new level!
Italy has a lot of influence in Ethiopian cuisine from occupations of Italy in Ethiopia in history which is why we eat a lot of pasta, and this is our version of Italian Spaghetti. Incredibly simple to make with everyday ingredients but is also delicious!
For the vegetarian option, skip adding the ground beef. It will still be as delicious!
3 Chopped Onion
4 cloves of garlic minced
1lb Ground beef
1 table spoon of Berbere
1 Chopped Tomato
1 Can Pasta sauce
Salt to taste
- On medium to low heat, add the chopped onion into a pan and cook until the water from the onion is absorbed.
- Once the water from the onions is fully absorbed and, the onion starts to stick to the pan, add oil. Stir well until the onion is fully coated with oil.
- Cook the onion for about 5 minutes on medium heat until golden brown
- Add the minced garlic and the chopped tomatoes.
- Add ground beef and Berbere spice. Cook for about 13 minutes while stirring.
- Add canned pasta sauce and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add salt
- Cook spaghetti noodles or any pasta of your choice (FYI salad with this recipe is everything)!!!
Can be served with pasta, rice, bread and Injera
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Tools & Equipment