2 large onions, chopped
Salt to taste
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cubes of fresh ginger
2 tbsp Thirteen Berbere Spice mix
Half a cup red lentils, rinsed well
1 large tomatoes chopped
170g can tomato paste
CLICK HERE to buy our Berbere spice mix!
In a pot add onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the water from the onion is fully absorbed
- When the onion starts to stick to the pan, add oil
Once the onion is golden brown add garlic, cubes of ginger and our Berbere spice mix (be generous) and cook it for about 6 minutes gradually adding water and stirring
Wash lentils and add, tomatoes, small can of tomato paste to the pot
Continue to gradually add water until lentils are cooked
Stir and serve with Injera (Ethiopian fermented teff flour bread) or any bread. If you haven’t tried injera before we recommend you to try it out with this recipe, it has such a unique flavour. You will love it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Serve with Injera or bread of your choice
Places to find injera in Ottawa
- Iham Injera 590 Gladstone Ave, Ottawa (Gluten free) A lot of Quickie convenience stores sell injera from this bakery, ask if your nearest Quickie has injera.
- Tizita Bakery 365 Booth St, Ottawa
- Damas Supermarket 3033 Carling Ave, Ottawa (gets Injera from the first bakery mentioned)
- Habesha Restaurant 99 Montreal Rd, Ottawa