Tchep is a national Senegalese dish. The first time I tried Tchep was 8 years ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. This recipe is versatile and has lots of nutritional variety in your meal, it has a combination of beef, rice and vegetables simmered in tomato sauce. For those looking to try out new authentic African dishes, Tchep is the go-to recipe. This dish is colorful and bursting with flavors thanks to Thirteen’s Pili pili spice. This recipe is an investment in time, but results won’t be disappointing.
Recipe by Ousmane Barry
- 1.5 kg of rice, washed
- 1 kg of beef, cube
- 5 big onions, ring cuts
- 2 Magi (chicken flavor, cubes)
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 bunch finely chopped parsley
- 3 big and fresh tomatoes, mashed
- 200 grams of tomato paste
- 2 grand bell pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of basil leaves
- 2 carrots, cut into medium pieces
- ½ kg of cabbage cut into 4 pieces
- 5 potatoes, medallion cuts (or desired shape )
- 30 cl of olive oil
- 1 tsp of Pili Pili spice
- 2 tsps. of salt
- Cut the meat and wash it.
- Peel the onions, the potatoes and cut them into medallions.
- Peel the carrots and cut the carrots into a rectangular shape.
- Wash the peppers, tomatoes, and parsley and cut them into small pieces.
- Wash and cut the cabbage into large pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat, add the tomato paste and mix for 5 minutes
- followed by the beef, pepper, garlic, a little salt. Mix for 15 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir for 10 minutes.
- Continue by adding the peppers and fresh tomatoes and cook everything while stirring for 20 minutes.
- Then add a liter of water, bay leaves and basil leaves, parsley, Magi, Pili Pili spice and cook for 40 minutes.
- Place the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and meat from the pot and place them in a bowl, do not remove the sauce that is inside the pot.
- Put a liter of water in the pot after removing the vegetables and meat.
- Heat the washed rice in the microwave for 5 minutes and add it in the pot with the sauce mixture.
- Mix everything and cover the pot for 15 minutes.
- Stir and close everything and let the rice cook for 30 minutes till the rice is cooked.
This recipe can serve up to 8 people
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Tools & Equipment
- Large pot (that can cook up to 1.5 kg of rice)
- Big bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Baking pan
The vegetables and meat should be served on top of the rice and not vice-versa