2 tablespoons salt, for water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger (fresh ginger can also be used)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, and diced (or keep seeds in for extra spice)
2 lb potato, 1 inch cubed
1 x 28oz can diced tomatoes, (or canned whole tomatoes, chopped or mashed)
2-3 tsp Thirteen's xawaash
1 x 19oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 x 19oz can peas, drained
1 x 395 g can coconut milk
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover well-salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and let the potatoes cook until fork tender- about 12 minutes on medium heat. Once cooked, drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- Clean the pot and return on the stove. add the oil to the pot and heat over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion and sauté for 5 or 6 minutes, until the onion and is translucent and just starting to brown. Add the garlic to the pot, stir, and sauté for another minute or two.
- To the pot, add thirteen xawaash spice, salt and ginger. Stir for 2-4 minutes to combine before adding the veggies.
- Add chickpeas, peas and canned tomatoes with their juices. Mix and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk. And stir well!
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Now add the potatoes and simmer for another 5
- You are ready to serve the stew!
Can be served with baguette, rice vermicelli or steamed rice.
Check out our Pilau rice recipes and goes well with this dish!!