Position: Youth Liaison
Organization: Parkdale Food Centre
Location: 30 Rosemount Street #2 Ottawa. Combination of in-person and remote work
Hours/Duration: up to 21 hrs/week for 18 weeks
Start Date: Mid June
Rate of Pay: 4 weeks of preemployment training at $14.25 for 4 weeks followed by $18.54/hour of employment for 14 weeks
- See the complexities and structural factors impacting today's social climate?
- Notice the interconnectedness of social justice, activism and food security?
- Believe that connecting youth with their community creates a resilient community?
- Want to support young people in bringing their voices to the table?
The Youth advocate is a role designed to bridge the experience and expertise of the participants of the Thirteen program with the social justice mission of Growing Futures (GF). The Youth Advocate will be responsible for finding and sharing youth resources such as jobs and grants, developing internal resources including training material, planning events and supporting the delivering of GF workshops for youth of all ages.
- Supporting Thirteen in alumni outreach and updates
- Assisting the facilitation of existing workshops and discussions
- Developing and delivering new workshops and facilitating discussions independently
- Creating appealing and accessible content to raise awareness/understanding of social justice issues
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of/interest in social justice issues such as food security for our community
- Understanding of presentation tools such as Google slides and Canva
- Video editing skills an asset
- Ability to engage and activate peers in thoughtful discussion
- Knowledge of/interest in social media sites such as Instagram, TikTok, Facebook
- Knowledge of Shopify platform or keen interest in learning
- Youth up to age 29 (Please see Youth Services Bureau for eligibility criteria)
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work efficiently unsupervised
- Access to a computer and a stable internet connection as some of this work will be remote. Please indicate if you need support with this.
- Self-motivated, responsible
Reports to: Growing Futures Coordinator Morissa and Thirteen Team lead Meagan
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Morissa@parkdalefoodcentre.org by June 11th. Consider the questions at the top of this posting as you write your cover letter. Take this opportunity to let your passion and personality shine! Please let us know if you need any accommodations for this application.
The Parkdale Food Centre is committed to respecting diversity and inclusion for all. We strive to ensure that our programs are reflective of the communities we serve and that everyone - all of our Neighbours, have an equitable and safe seat at the PFC community table.
Please note: only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.