Requisition ID: 5965
Department: Rec, Cultural & Facility Services Dept.
Affiliation: Non Union/Non MPE
Salary Information: $15.500 per hour (2023 rates of pay)
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Category: Summer Student Recruitment
Application Close: 01/09/2023
The Recreation, Cultural and Facility Services department is responsible for building a healthy, inclusive and vibrant City, as well as ensuring that communities, residents and visitors have access to the recreation and cultural places, programs, events and services that allow them to experience all the benefits the City has to offer, and overseeing Buildings and Facilities Management for improved service delivery integration, ensuring the best possible client experience in City facilities.
Under the guidance of a Program Coordinator, you are responsible for the delivery of recreation, arts, aquatics or sports programs for preschoolers, children and youth during the summer months, and ensure participants have a safe and enjoyable camp experience. The programs may take place indoors, outdoors, in one location or a variety of locations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Student
No related experience is required
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENCES
- Understanding the development and recreational needs of children.
- AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) Legislated training required by 2010
- City of Ottawa Core Training
- Applicable City of Ottawa Parks & Recreation policies and procedures.
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance.
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
- Leadership Development Certificate (LIT) is desirable
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music.
- Experience working with preschoolers and/or school age children and/or youth.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic.
- Ability to work in a team setting or independently
- Maintain a fun and safe environment
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Good organization skills
- Sound judgement
- Must be able to relate to children and be a good role model
- Must be tactful, kind and patient
- Must be calm under pressure
- Must be creative and resourceful
- Must be reliable and trustworthy
- Must be flexible and enthusiastic
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work well in a team environment.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Physically fit and able to participate in recreation activities.
- Capable of safe lifting techniques
- Proper attire and footwear
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement:Various language requirements, locations may require English only, French only OR Bilingual competencies. Some positions require English oral, reading, and writing. Some positions required French oral, reading and writing.
- Police Record Check: The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.; Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.; The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.