Jackfruit makes a perfect meatless taco filling and it is even better when it is spiced up with our Berbere. We served ours with a cucumber coleslaw and creamy lime dressing to help cool down the heat from the Berbere spice.
For the Berbere Jackfruit
- 1 x 14 oz can jackfruit in brine (do not get the one that comes in a syrup)
- 1 small onion, rough chop
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp Berbere (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Open the can of jackfruit and squeeze out all the extra liquid. Transfer the jackfruit to a food processor.
- Add the onion, garlic and salt to the food processor and process until the mix is roughly chopped and combined. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well to combine the jackfruit with all the spices and liquids.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Check the oven after 25 minutes and stir the jackfruit mix around the pan.
- While the jackfruit is baking you can prep the other fillings for your taco (see below).
- After 45-50 minutes, once the jackfruit is starting to brown, remove from the oven and you can start building your tacos.
For the tacos:
- 1 english cucumber, sliced into matchsticks (or shredded)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into matchsticks (or shredded)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- To make the cucumber slaw, mix together the cucumber slices and carrot slices and toss them together with the 3 Tbsp lime juice, vegetable oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- To make the lime sour cream, mix together the sour cream, lime zest and 1 Tbsp lime juice.
- For each taco, top one scoop of the jackfruit mix with cucumber slaw, sour cream and chopped cilantro.