My name is Khadidja Trésor. I’m a Grade 12 student at Franco-Ouest. I enjoy listening to music and socializing. I decided to join Thirteen because I want to acquire some new skills in business and learn more about cooking. Also I wanted to build my resume, meet new people and have some experiences in the kitchen. Throughout the training I learned how to invest and get more sources of income. I also discovered Thirteen spices from different countries that I didn't know about.
This recipe is a traditional dish my mom used to teach me and my siblings so I wanted to share it with everyone.
I chose this recipe because it’s very delicious. It’s also easy to make and doesn’t take a lot of time.
The main ingredient is the onions. At first when you slice the onions it would seem a lot but when you fry it the size decreases.
I like how the recipe does not have a lot of ingredients.
The recipe seems easy to follow and you can personalize it. You can add other ingredients to make it more delicious. You don’t really have to follow the exact steps.
Prep time: 20 minutes
For the sauce 25- 30 minutes
For the couscous: 10 minutes
500g Beef loin, cut into cubes
75ml of oil
900g 4 Red jumbo onions, sliced
Two medium tomatoes, sliced
3 tbsp Pili pili spice (1 tbsp aside for beef)
3 tbsp Black pepper (1 tbsp for beef )
2 tsp Salt (1 tbsp for beef)
75ml of AYLMER crushed tomatoes
2 ½ tbsp Maggi (optional)
100g Organic mixed vegetables
150 ml Water
150 ml crushed tomatoes (can)
To buy Thirteen's Pili Pili a Spice CLICK HERE
Cook on high heat
For the yassa sauce
- Season the beef with pili pili, salt and pepper
- Boil the seasoned beef in a saucepan with 100 ml of water for 6 min then set aside.
- Add 75 ml of oil in a small saucepan
- Heat the oil for 45 sec on high heat
- Fry the onions in the oil for 7 min until golden brown
- Add the seasoned boiled beef in the fried onions
- Add the sliced tomatoes
- Add the rest of 50 ml of water
- Add 1 teaspoons of pili pili 1 teaspoons of black pepper and 1 tbsp of parsley flakes
- Let it boil for 5 min
- Add 150 ml of crushed tomatoes
- Add 2 ½ tbsp of Maggi, 1 tbsp of black pepper, ½ tbsp of pili pili 1 ½ tbsp of salt
- Mix it all together
- Cook for 7 minutes, stirring gradually
- Let it cook for 1 min and turn the stove off
- The yassa sauce is done.
For the couscous
- Boil 1L of water in a saucepan
- Add 1 kg of couscous in the boiled water and add 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter and 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt
- Mix it and let it cook for 7 min
- Add 100 g of organic mixed vegetables (optional), mix well and cover. For 5 minutes
- When you lift the lid, the grains will appear flat in an even layer. Use a fork to fluff it up and break up the clumps for light and fluffy couscous.
- All done with the recipe!!
Tools & Equipment -
three different plates for the sliced beef
onions, tomatoes ,
3 Saucepans ( one for the beef, one for the sauce and one for the couscous)
4 plates for the food
I would suggest that the sauce is on top of the couscous when served. And as a side dish have a cabbage salad on the side.
Recipe video on our YouTube channel check it out!