My family and I love to make Nachos for a late night snack. They are quick to make and it can serve a lot of people. It's something we eat while watching Netflix or hanging out. We don't have to eat it at the table and it's something we can all enjoy. We like to experiment with all different toppings but this Berbere beef recipe is a family favourite forsure.
Recipe by Christine Rugenera
Serves 10 people
Time: (How long does the recipe take to complete?)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 6 min
Tools & Equipment:
Knife & cutting board, pan
INGREDIENTS: (what goes in the recipe)
Be specific and use consistent units of measurement
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 box of corn (341ml)
- 1 box of beans ( 341 ml)
- 2 onions
- Tomato paste (156ml)
- 1 pack of shredded cheddar cheese ( 320g) (or shred your own)
- ½ tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp Berbere spice mix
- ½ tbsp soya sauce
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tps of pepper
- ½ a lemon juiced
- 1kg ground beef
Instructions (steps for making the recipe)
List the steps in order and be as specific as possible
The Beef :
- Dice the onions and add to a pan.
- In a bowl, season the ground beef with ½ a lemon’s juice, ½ tbsp of soya sauce, ½ tbsp of garlic, 1 tbsp of Berbere spice, ½ tsp of salt and pepper.
- Once the meat is seasoned, and the onions have yellowed add the ground beef and mix regularly.
- Once the beef is mostly cooked add tomato paste and cook for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked through and aromatic.
- Take your nachos chips and put them on an oven tray.
- Pour your beef on top of the nachos, add your diced tomatoes, avocado, corn, beans and then cover with shredded cheese.
- Put them in the oven for 5- 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Dig in!
- It's better to eat the Family Nachos with a dipping sauce. I sprinkled sour cream on top of these ones!