Makes 48 cookies
1 3/4 cups white sugar, divided
1 cup softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
4 teaspoon Thirteen Social Enterprise Pili Pili spice blend * See note below
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy (about 5 minutes scraping down sides of bowl part way through). Add in the vanilla extract and eggs and mix on low speed until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, pili pili spice blend and flour. On low speed, gradually add in to the butter mixture until well blended. Stir the chocolate chips into the dough.
- In a small bowl combine ¼ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and roll balls into the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place the cookie balls on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven until centres are set and edges crack slightly – about 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for five minutes and then remove to cooling racks.
Note: If you prefer a slightly less spicy cookie you can add in 3 teaspoons of the Pili Pili Spice Blend.