Recipe by Tandika
This recipe is something like an Asian Bao but with a Guyanese, Caribbean twist.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 6-10 persons
1 1|2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
4 tbsp. butter
pinch of salt
about 1 cup water*
2 tbsp. oil
½ cup of chickpeas
2 heads of green onions (finely chopped)
1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp. Xawaash spice
1 large bowl
1 large pan
1 paper towel
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. (Add 1 cup of flour and add as needed after adding water -(see video for how the dough should look)
- Gradually add water and mix until firm. Firm, not stiff.
- Let dough sit, covered for 15 mins.
- Pinch off golf size amount of dough and roll into small ball
- Let sit for another 5 mins
- Roll balls into 4-5 inch circles and add 1 tbsp. of chickpeas to center and close by pinching together with finger tips.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil on a medium fire. Fry dough until golden brown, flipping once. Best when served hot.
Frying Instructions (This can be done in oil or in air fryer)
Quick Video so you can see how the dough should look!